Sign in to follow this  
Agresr_SA

Guard rolling gone wrong.....

well where do i start....

i took my car to troy at tyre power to guard rolled in....as i have took all of my previous rides there plus few of my mates took theirs so i decided to go there again...not knowing what will happen next...

when chris (young dude works there) finished rolling left rear, i notice the actual quarter panel had been bent in....i dnt knw the words to describe it but im sure u guys know what im talking ab...i freaked out at first but he says its normal for SOME cars to do that....

as he was doing the right side same thing happened. (theres no point putting photos up as its hard to tell u need to see it by eye)

troy tells me that i shld go see my panel beater mate to fix the guard....i knew it was damaged but.....

so i took the car down to my mate this mornign and he lost it saying the guards are f**ked. literally f**ked. n his boss n other workers came out and saw the car n tells me that guard has ripples and its totally screwed..so i got a quote of 1300 to fixed the rear quarter...that quote is genuine as it actually involves a lot of work...

so i called troy and he says that there is a sign in front of the desk saying whatever happens to my guard is not his problem and that i shld deal with it.

now this is where the problem starts. every single person i spoke to tells me that it is his fault for bending my quarter panel. but he says i shld known that it cld have or shld have happened. now i had few of my previous rides n mates done plenty of guards done not to an extent that it has f**k the guard up.

i went to few places to get it checked out n they gave me shit for taking my car there in the first place....i didnt knw troy had a bad name???

so guys, what shld i do?? im pretty fukd off ab this as its a new car n who wld want their new baby damaged? who is in the wrong? i got advice from my lawers and lawer friends that i shld fill out a small claims form from magistrate court....

i dnt want to get this to get ugly as troy has been very good to me n always does the right thing by me but....

my brand new car's both rear quarter has been damaged so badly......n he keeps mentioning ab this waver form in front of his desk...

now the point is i didnt even knw it was there...even if i did, he or chris shld have stopped rolling the guard yeah???

i just want to know what im entitled to and whos at fault and etc....n mainly what i shld do.....is going to court worth all the trouble??

cheers guys

niskid

no i didnt ask for any pulling

i just asked for simple guard rolling...

im sure its not hard to do right??

not much u can do man, it can happen when rolling guards, if u wanted a guarantee then u should have found a place that could offer it, the reason why that sign is there is because it can happen, not necessarily because of reckless workmanship, it's just a risk when u touch guards. i know chris and he is not the bloke to be dodgey about stuff.

and no guys shit does not happen.

its a business and im sure as a customer u shld have at least a bit of confident in them to do the JOB RIGHT

not much u can do man, it can happen when rolling guards, if u wanted a guarantee then u should have found a place that could offer it, the reason why that sign is there is because it can happen, not necessarily because of reckless workmanship, it's just a risk when u touch guards. i know chris and he is not the bloke to be dodgey about stuff.

dude i had cars that been guard rolled on a resprayed paint..n they didnt crack one bit.

n my car has factory paint n it cracked. so u telling me he still did his job correctly??

How long did he keep the heat gun on the gaurds for before rolling them?

i dnt knw....obviously not enough.

Yeah i dont like your chances mate, that's why the sign is there but yes they should of told you the risks with rolling the guards before they started

Why are you getting your guards rolled for anyway man?

*forgets that Autosalon is coming up*

Yeah i dont like your chances mate, that's why the sign is there

well i called up consumer affairs and they think that sign doesnt mean jack as well as few lawers i spoke to...

but im sure its there for a reason

Sorry mate, dont agree with that.

Had my guards lipped and rolled by Joe at WW who DID inform me that the guards could blemish but i know he puts his all into his work. At the end of the day, its his reputation on the line.

Guards are EXACTLY what i asked for and have no problems at all.

well so i can fit my advans on...if i didnt roll them im sure il will rub

public name calling straight off the bat really isnt the best way to go about it.. just follow down the small claims path.. not taking sides but it is the coldest time of year to be doing it..

hope u get it sorted tho..

Had my guards lipped and rolled by Joe at WW who DID inform me that the guards could blemish but i know he puts his all into his work. At the end of the day, its his reputation on the line.

doesnt that back me up there? another tyre shop telling you the guards might have issues. what makes u think chris didnt put his all into it?

doesnt that back me up there? another tyre shop telling you the guards might have issues. what makes u think chris didnt put his all into it?

Maybe he isnt as qualified in that area than others.

Rolling guards on the rear.... MAYBE, MAYBE a slight crack.... but not rooted quarters on both sides :S

Sorry mate just dont agree.

If the guards had previous damage or had been bogged up or were pulled/flares in any way, its more than likely to happen.

But not on a 2007 model Evo 9.

My guards were Lipped and Rolled to fit in 10" +15 on a S15 rear.

There CAN be a likely chance damage could occur in this situation as the guard is being pushed out.

In saying this, i do not roll guards but i have had a few of my cars done by both Slammed AND Wheel Worx who have both done fantastic jobs and therefore have experienced this work first hand.

My 2 cents.

Places usually make u sign a declaration stating that they take no responsibility for damage. I thought they had to make u sign it. If u didn't u may have a chance? Not sure.

signs don't mean anything.

get the first free hour of legal advice. they will most likely tell you that as you have tried to resolve the issue face to face, the next step is small claims. first you deliver a final notice (they'll tell you what form to use), you deliver it and go from there.

i personally would be pissed. regardless of the risks involved, if i took my car to a professional, i'd expect a professional job or a professional fix for the mistake.

you are told there are risks when rolling guards, you took the risk, it didnt pay off, now you're complaining.

i'd be annoyed to, but unless the workshop was reckless, it wouldnt be directed towards them, I took the risk, therefore I have to live with the results.

if they had to take into account the possibility of the guards creasing for what ever reason, for every single car, you'd be paying $500 a corner and everyone would complain at the price.

hence this is why all tyre shops i know of run under the same rule, this isnt just tyrepower.

if it was my car i would have taken it to a panel beater, as ud hope they would be more experienced, but they still run under the same rule usually.

it's ur risk to take, not the tyre shops.

you are told there are risks when rolling guards, you took the risk, it didnt pay off, now you're complaining.

i'd be annoyed to, but unless the workshop was reckless, it wouldnt be directed towards them, I took the risk, therefore I have to live with the results.

if they had to take into account the possibility of the guards creasing for what ever reason, for every single car, you'd be paying $500 a corner and everyone would complain at the price.

hence this is why all tyre shops i know of run under the same rule, this isnt just tyrepower.

if it was my car i would have taken it to a panel beater, as ud hope they would be more experienced, but they still run under the same rule usually.

Im sorry but thats crap

You are paying a professional to do a professional job, it seems to me the person was not even qualified to do the job. Also before getting the job done the company is suppose to explain to you what could go wrong, not depend on a stupid note. He was obviously not told the risks so I would definitely be complaining ranting3.gif

The employee did not do the job correctly (by not keeping the heat gun on long enough) so they should be paying to fix the problem!!!

i would be peaking to man but depending on the panel shape is wat would make the guard dip in while rolling it i got a roller at home and have rolled alot of guards u gotta know wat ur doin moving to fast and applying to much pressure is wats gonna cause it to dip the heat gun will only make the paint soft so it wont crack if ur guards have paint cracks there is a sighn of carelesnes and not taking time in there work i would deffinatly do a clain if they personaly did not explain to u that it may happen. wat car did you get by the way ?

Get what you pay for

want something like that done don't cheap out and go to an actual crash shop, especially on a evo

Look, forget their sign, that's just their attempt to get rid of this type of recourse.

Hairline cracks in the paint I would think are possible, maybe a split in the paint on the roll, but to ruin the whole panel...that is just reckless.

To those saying get it done elsewhere etc etc, you're paying a business to do a service, I would expect the service to be carried out in whole, with no damage, regardless of the price. If the business has a lower price, that is their business model, but they still have the same responsibility as somewhere charging double the price.

Small claims court.

Sorry to hear that mate, This is a common problem with Evo rear guards. It's all over evooz if you search for guard rolling. Something to do with the design of them just doesn't lend itself well to being rolled. They can be done of course, you just need to be super careful rolling them - and only take it to people who've done it before. Next time take it to wheelworx, they've done a couple of CT9A's (including mine). Or just take it to a crash shop, at least if they stuff it up they can fix it.

i know that doesn't help you now... sorry

ps. is it just the paint thats f**ked, or is the metal deformed?

if it's just the paint then surely it can be fixed cheaper than that.

Yeah i dont like your chances mate, that's why the sign is there

well i called up consumer affairs and they think that sign doesnt mean jack as well as few lawers i spoke to...

but im sure its there for a reason

They need you to sign a waiver excluding them of costs.

They are liable and a court would demand payment for you.

Obviously he's shit at it if he can't roll guards with out popping them. Sounds like shitty workmanship to be honest. His all wasn't enough.

Im sorry but thats crap

You are paying a professional to do a professional job, it seems to me the person was not even qualified to do the job. Also before getting the job done the company is suppose to explain to you what could go wrong, not depend on a stupid note. He was obviously not told the risks so I would definitely be complaining ranting3.gif

The employee did not do the job correctly (by not keeping the heat gun on long enough) so they should be paying to fix the problem!!!

you DON'T know this, you're speculating. for all you know he did the most he knew how to make sure nothing happened, but unfortunately it did. it's a known risk you take when you ask someone to do the rolling for you.

Obviously he's shit at it if he can't roll guards with out popping them. Sounds like shitty workmanship to be honest. His all wasn't enough.

i would have taken my car to a panel beater where they would have had more experience with guards, as it turns out it looks like his specific car was prone to guard popping, if he'd done some research and found this out he would have known that the risk was even higher than usual and should have taken it to someone with more experience.

how bout some pics of whats actually happened to your guards?

coming from someone that cant put together a huffy slider.........

rounded 10mm was it? biggrin.gif

Do you ever have an intelligent reply to a question? Obviously he is rolling his guards because of the tougher fitment that I recommended for his car.

Nothing to do with Autosalon, we like our cars to have a tough fitment on the wheels, hence the need for a guard roll or a possible lip on the guard. You obviously wouldnt know anything about this as the fitment on your wheels is inside the guard and thats fine for a granny.

Ns.com thug should agree with me on the above point, as i beleive a light stretch on the tyre a maybe -2 degree camber and a slight guard roll improves track width, road holding around corners is improved as when your under acceleration on a fast corner you are getting the whole face of the tyre on the tarmac therefore getting the grip you require without getting the back end loose, allowing for quicker lap times.

As i told Ty i am organising a track day obviously the guy is getting ready for that day.

Can someone ban this useless idiot that only likes to take stabs at people PLEASE with nothing constructive to offer.